Saturday, March 23, 2013

Apple and Cinnamon Mini Cake


Of course I collect the "MoneyBack" points that my local grocery store offers, since I visit the shop every day or two. Do you collect points? But what do you do with all those points? Well, I was just ridiculously excited when I saw that MoneyBack was doing a Le Creuset promotion. I redeemed all the points I had for two small stoneware bowls and two mini casserole dishes. I didn't really need any new kitchen items, but they were just so beautiful!

I selected the mini casserole dishes on a bit of a whim, not knowing if they were something I would actually use. After the small bowls, I didn't have enough points left for the big bowls which were on offer, so I was looking for something smaller. The mini casserole dishes caught my eye because they were so cute.

It turns out that I have been using them for plenty of things. I made stuffed peppers in them (an easy yet impressive meal for two), lemon and courgette cottage cheese quiche, and pumpkin custard. And now this brilliant mini cake.


The cake is sweetener- and sugar-free. It's grain-free and is made with coconut flour. It's also gluten-free (if you use gluten-free baking powder) and dairy-free. So basically, this is the perfect healthy, tasty cake for you! It's just right for two people. Also, it takes only a few minutes from start to fork.

Mini Apple Cake
adapted from The Paleo Professional
serves 2

This cake makes a great afternoon snack, dessert, or even breakfast. It contains no sweetener except the apple. If you like your cake sweeter, add a tablespoon of maple syrup.

1 green apple
1 T butter
1 egg
1/4 c + 1 T (75 ml) coconut milk or water
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
3 T coconut flour

Cut the green apple into small pieces. There is no need to peel.
Place the apple in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave on high power for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Set the apple pieces aside.

Melt the butter.
Whisk together the butter, egg, coconut milk, vanilla, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Add the coconut flour and whisk well.
Stir in about half the apple pieces.

Transfer to a small ramekin (which has volume 350 ml or more).
Microwave on high for 2 minutes 30 seconds.
Top with the extra apple pieces.

Do you collect grocery store points? Have you ever redeemed them for anything?


Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails