Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chickpea and Chorizo Flatbread


I wrote recently about how I was out of ideas. Not just for blogging, but for cooking as well. Thanks to all of you for your sympathy in the comments on that post and on Facebook. A few days later I was frustrated and feeling like chucking stuff out. I attacked a messy kitchen cupboard and ditched some old, expired flours. I consolidated three bags of almond flour into a canister. Foods I am trying to avoid eating (mostly wheat-based) were put out of reach. And I discovered I had a big container of chickpea flour that I had forgotten about. I was determined to make something interesting out of it.


This flatbread got me out of my rut! It was so simple (my favourite word!): just whisk and bake. It livened up our plates due to the chorizo spiked throughout. And it made our light dinner a bit more satisfying.

(Sidebar: Without a bit of meat, my husband claims that he does not feel as if he has eaten properly. So I make up things like this flatbread to slightly increase the meat content of our meals without turning into a meat-centric eater myself. [Does anyone else have this problem?])

Now I find that I am full of ideas! At least, lots of ideas for chickpea and chorizo flatbread.

Make this flatbread into a meal by:
1. topping it with sauteed broccoli, mushrooms, and ground turkey (pictured)
2. serving it on the side of sweet potato stew
3. pairing it with grown-up baked beans for a posh "beans on toast"

Turn the flatbread into appetisers by cutting into small squares or triangles, then:
1. topping with ricotta and a dill sprig
2. broil with a slice of raclette cheese until bubbling; add a cold cucumber slice to finish


Chickpea and Chorizo Flatbread
makes a 9" (23 cm) square flatbread

1 c (120 g) chickpea flour
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
50 g chorizo

In a bowl, mix together the chickpea flour and salt. Whisk in1 1/2 c (375 ml) water until smoothly blended. Allow to rest while you proceed with the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 425 F (230 C).
Pour the olive oil into a 9" (23 cm) square pan. Finely slice the chorizo and add it to the pan.
Place the pan in the oven while it heats. Allow the chorizo to release some tasty oils. Remove the pan if the olive oil starts to smoke or it smells as if it might burn.

When the oven is hot, pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until the bread is set.

Have you discovered any intriguing ingredients in the back of your cupboard lately?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails