Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dhal: Buttery Lentils with Garlic and Tomatoes


About a year ago I discovered that a friend of my brother had started a wonderful food blog called The Things I Eat. The author is Minh, a Canadian with a Vietnamese background. He started blogging as he was exploring his family history through food. I love reading his insights and the recipes usually entice me too. One of the very first things I bookmarked was this lentil dish: dhal. (It's not Vietnamese, just go with me anyway!)

A bowl of warm, buttery lentils is filling and satisfying. It's the kind of tongue- and heart-warming food that I almost cuddle. I like to hold the bowl between my knees as I sit on the couch. After eating dhal my toes are wiggling and there's a little smile on my face. The first time I served dhal I added turkey meatballs, the next time I just enjoyed it plain. 

I wanted to make dhal properly, so I waited a long time after first bookmarking it. I was determined to find mustard seeds. But now that I have the basic items in my store cupboard, this will be a simple dish to make again soon. Please visit The Things I Eat to see the recipe and discover some new food ideas. (Gingered tofu is next on my list! First I must find some nutritional yeast. It could be a while.)


Have you experimented with a new recipe lately?

Find us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails