Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Amaranth, Raisin, and Nut Loaf

 

I've been struggling lately with blogging. I haven't been posting much lately due to a strange version of bloggers' block. It seems that the food I want to cook and the stories I want to tell don't always match.

I have been cooking as much as always and I have many pictures of things to share with you. I've got creative vegetable ideas, both main dishes and sides. I have some healthy baking (like this loaf), and plenty of tasty meal ideas. So I'm fine with food to post about.

At the same time, I have started a document called "Blogging Stories" and there are more than a few stories there that are fully formed. I have a few childhood reflections, a story about air conditioning in Hong Kong, some things about household chores (it's interesting, honest!), and notes for lots of other story ideas. Somehow, though, I just don't seem to have a good match between the food I want to share and the stories that I write.



So I guess I am looking for advice about what to do next. I have read some food blogs where the stories and the food don't fit well. There is a personal story first, then it goes straight onto the food with no link. Frankly, that doesn't appeal to me. I have also thought about writing more like Elise on Simply Recipes: she foregoes the stories and just sticks to the food. But this doesn't really settle me, either. Am I being too demanding of myself and this blog? Should I search my soul (mind? heart?) for different stories that fit better with my food? Well, any suggestions you can put forward would be very welcomed.

Meanwhile, try this loaf! It's supremely healthy. It uses amaranth, an ancient seed - those are the little crunchy, light-coloured balls you can see in the photos. The only added sugar is from a few dates and brown rice syrup. Brown rice syrup is all glucose, no fructose, so it is much better digested and doesn't lead to weight gain as fructose does. And it is delicious! Voila, I give you a healthy, tasty loaf in return for your advice about my blogging problem. Is it a deal?
Amaranth, Raisin, and Nut Loaf
makes one loaf
adapted from Arrowhead Mills

3/4 c raisins
1/4 c chopped dates
1/2 c amaranth
2 eggs
1/2 c (125 ml) brown rice syrup
1/4 c (55 g) butter, melted
1 t vanilla extract
2 c whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 c chopped pecans
1/2 c chopped Brazil nuts

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.

Mix dates, raisins, and amaranth in a small bowl and cover with 1 c (250 ml) boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, brown rice syrup, butter, and vanilla.
Add the flour, baking powder, and nuts.
Add the raisin mixture and stir well to combine.
Pour into the loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

Like us on Facebook for innovative, healthy food ideas! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails