Sunday, January 16, 2011

lemon and ginger hot drink for colds and flu


My brain is thrashing about inside a plastic bag, fighting to be free. Ever since I've had this cold, I feel as though my captured mind is being suffocated. The pain in my sinuses, nose, throat, and ears causes a fog so dense that I can't reach the outside world, nor can it reach me. What can bring me some release?

Lemon, ginger, and honey are what I need. The sour lemon cuts through my brain fog. The ginger pierces the suffocating confusion, while there's honey to help my throat. A sprig of warm rosemary at the bottom of the mug is all that's left of the drink as I hobble back to the couch to doze off, tired from the fight, but free.


Hot Lemon, Ginger, and Honey Drink
adapted from Leon: Ingredients and Recipes
makes 6 hot drinks

6 lemons, juiced
4 cm of root ginger, minced
1/4 c (60 ml) honey
a large sprig of rosemary

Mix the lemon juice, ginger, and honey in a bowl and microwave or heat in a saucepan until the honey is dissolved. Mix well.
Add the rosemary sprig.
Store in a jar in the fridge until needed.

To make a hot lemon drink, add 4 t of the mixture to a mug and top up with boiling water.

5 comments:

emily jane said...

Hope you're feeling okay! I'm so excited to see the Leon recipes, I found Leon when I was in England last year and have missed it since coming home. Can't wait to get the books for myself :D

Sarah said...

Hi Emily Jane, thanks for your well wishes. I'm enjoying my couch time. I love Leon and miss it, too, since I left London. I've made quite a few recipes from the Leon cookbook, and I hear there is a new one, now, too. Let me know as soon as you try some Leon recipes!

obat sakit gigi said...

thx for info... keep writing and giving us an information... glhf for ur day!!!

Zoë W said...

Just looking for a new cold recipe and stumbled across yours Sarah. 1st day of the holidays and bang cold arrives. Will give this a try. Zoë W

Sarah said...

Oh, Zoe! So miserable that you got sick just as half term was beginning. Get well soon.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails